What Do I Need To Sell My House

Selling your home can be a lengthy and complex process, and you will have many different factors you need to consider. However, you can help streamline the process as much as possible by ensuring you have all the correct documentation to hand. You need to provide several documents while selling your home, some of which are easier to prepare than others, but this quick guide should help you to collect these effortlessly.

Proof of Identity

You will need to be able to prove your identity in order to conform to anti-money laundering laws. Several documents may be accepted to do this, but the main ones are utility bills from your current address, plus photo-identification such as a driving license or passport. Solicitors are required to hold this information for five years and then delete it, so you know your data is in safe hands.

Property Title Deeds

You’ll also need to prove you are the legal owner of your home in order to sell it. If you can’t find your property title deeds, you should be able to obtain them from the solicitor you used when you bought the property. If your property hasn’t been sold since 1986, this may prove a little harder to get hold of, and if you can’t locate it at all, you will need to apply for a ‘Title Absolute’ from the Land Registry. This process takes more time and effort, so it’s worth avoiding if possible.

Energy Performance Certificate

Often abbreviated to EPC, this certificate comprises an assessment of your home’s CO2 impact and energy use, on a scale of A to G. You’ll need one dated to within the last 10 years.

Shared Freehold or Leasehold Documentation

This only applies if your property qualifies as either of the above, in which case you’ll need to provide documents with information on the shared freehold or leasehold.

Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)

This form will detail everything included in the sale of your home. This could involve furniture, ornaments, outbuildings, garden plants and structures, plus any other items you want to throw in. It is important that this is accurate as it will avoid delays and potential disputes down the line.

Property Information Form (TA6)

This form includes multiple documents which describe your home’s current status. The information required includes details about boundaries, disputes, complaints, insurance, ongoing planning proposals, parking, occupiers, utilities and more.

Electrical and Replacement Certificates

These will often be part of the TA6 form. You will need to provide certificates of proof if you have had any form of electrical work, boiler or window replacement within the property.

Mortgage Details

You will have to give information about your current mortgage, such as account details and the amount that you still have to pay. If you have payments outstanding, you will then need to sign an undertaking that you will use the sale money to pay off your mortgage, so the buyer will not become liable for your remaining mortgage.

Acceptance of Offer and Transfer of Deeds

These documents are produced after you have agreed a sale. Once they are signed and received, the sale of your property will become legally binding.

Share This Post